OBSERVING SESSION THROUGH MY 25X100 BINOCULAR


On the evening of 19th July just after sunset the sky became crystal clear! Although the whole day remained cloudy and was light rain. I had just got my new 25x100 giant binocular on 17th and I had not checked it yet. I was very buoyant to see celestial objects through it and I did not expect to see stars until mid August. But on 19th evening the sky was very clear down to horizon. The Scorpius was mind blowing in south! The summer triangle was coming up at 10:00pm. I quickly uncovered my binocular and went on terrace. Still I haven’t purchased its mount and I was using it without any brawny support. The binocular weights 5 kilograms and it is very difficult to hold it for a long time. So I decided to observe the sky and few known deep sky objects in sleeping position.

The first light was Vega high in the sky. Through my binocular the star appeared very bright but was out of focus. The binocular has individual support system. It has not central focus system like small size binoculars. It was tough to focus any thing when you are holding a bulky thing without mount. Eventually somehow I managed to focus Vega. The view of this bright star was outstanding! I can say it was better than the view of my old 5-inch reflector. Then I slightly moved to M57. I could see a bright, round fuzzy patch. Then I observed many objects described below:

M3: Very bright and big with outer halo resolved.

MIZAR AND ALCOR: Mizar A and B was slightly resolved.

M11: with many pinpoints resolved.

M4: big and bright, more like M11.

M7: Stunning! I have never viewed like this before!

M6: I counted about 20 stars.

NGC 6231: Very nice, I could count 6-7 stars.

M22: Very bright and big with outer halo resolved.

M13: Was near transit and I could see faint stars of outer halo.

GAMMA CYGNI REGION: This part of the sky was embedded with many celestial sparkles! I saw M29 and NGC 6910.

NU DRACONIS: This star in the constellation of Draco is a wide pair and appeared nicely separated.

ALBERIO: Excellent with color difference.

Jupiter was just rising. I saw two cloud belts and four satellites.


Rahul Zota

Comments